Saturday, April 05, 2014

Sum (is) 41!

The hub turned 41 last week and it was a simple, quiet celebration i.e. we bought a cake, sang a birthday song, blew out the candles, cut the cake and ate the cake.

Our first family photo with the latest addition, Qi.
I felt a little guilty about not doing more - not that I could do much since I was still in the midst of my jail term confinement and wasn't supposed to be running around. Even stepping out of the house (with the hub and baby) to get the cake was considered a no-no. But it was a quick trip to MyVillage@SG's Bakerzin and that took half-an-hour and back.

Aside: MIL masked her disapproval by telling me how "back in the old days" women weren't allowed to go out during the confinement period and if they had to do so, they were supposed to be covered up from head to toe i.e. large straw hat, long sleeves and pants.

Naturally I just nodded and smiled, like all docile daughters-in-law should.

Before my tenant i.e. Qi was evicted, I was in no mood to scout around for the hub's birthday gift. The extra load of 14kg rendered me immobile for long periods but it was primarily sciatica that annoyed me because sudden movements would send a sharp pain shooting through my left buttock/back.

The first two weeks after my delivery were exhausting because I was adjusting to Qi's schedules and my almost-40 body was on the verge of keeling over. I know I've mentioned it a godzillion times but I'll say it again: have your babies YOUNG e.g. mid 20s to early 30s. There's a great difference and I've been through all those stages.

Since I was in jail confinement and obviously can't roam the malls, I turned to the Web in desperation, hoping to get some ideas. Unfortunately, nothing inspired me and I confessed to the hub days before his birthday that I didn't manage to get a present for him.

He just laughed and pointed to Qi who was nursing greedily. "No need to buy anything. That's the best birthday present I have."

Then as luck would have it, the hub was flipping through the newspapers and he spotted something.

"Eh, Kitaro is coming back to Singapore!"

Problem solved.

I went online and booked two tickets for 17 April 2014.

The hub's favourite musician: Kitaro
That settled, I'll have to worry about baby-sitting arrangements. Will need to give advance notice to MIL as she usually stays with one of the BILs and their families during weekends and the concert's on the eve of Good Friday. I'll have to express milk out for her feeds and this will prob be done in the next week and kept in freezer.

And then I'll have to raid my wardrobe to look for something presentable to wear since I haven't exactly lost all the weight I've put on, especially in the most expandable area. Wei prodded my flabby tummy and asked if I still have another bun baking in the oven. :'(

Less than two weeks to fit back into my clothes! Yikes!

Admittedly, I'm way too lazy to start a workout regime. Can't embark on a strict diet because I'm lactating and need to produce quality milk for Qi.

Anyway, I'll figure something out, even if I have to use sheets to create a Grecian look. Who knows, I may be able to pull it off!

In truth, I'm not a Kitaro fan - I once made the boo-boo of asking "What's that funeral music?" - but I've attended his concert twice with the hub and this upcoming one will be my third. When Slash came to Singapore I dragged the hub along and he was tormented with a ringing sound in his right ear for a week. (He HATES rock/metal music!) He didn't object when I insisted on catching Duran Duran and The Script even though he wasn't familiar with the latter's songs.

I guess we're even.

But I'm looking forward to spending some couple time with the hub, sans kids. It's been a month since Qi's arrival and everyone's been fussing over her, so it's easy to neglect him. We'll have the rare chance to enjoy some peace and quiet together for a few hours before we resume our parenting responsibilities.

A much belated birthday celebration for my life partner and father to our four gorgeous girls.

No comments: