Thursday, July 14, 2016

Happy 74th. If only.

Hey Dad

Tomorrow would have been your 74th birthday.

We'd probably have made arrangements for dinner, while the kids would have picked out your birthday cake and made you cards.

Unfortunately, we won't be doing any of these tomorrow. Or ever again.

Nobody would have thought that last year would be the last birthday we'd ever celebrate with you.

If only we knew.

Mum called earlier and she broke down. She was thinking of dinner with the kids tomorrow night but I've to attend an official school event and can't make it. She was disappointed. I think she wanted to be occupied so that she won't be missing your presence so very much.

But I intend to drop by Bright Hill Temple's Ancestral Hall after my morning lessons to visit you. Told Mum we could go for lunch instead before I head back to work. I'll call her later to confirm the arrangements.

Life for us goes on. We miss you, but we just have to march forward and put the pain aside. I have my kids and work to keep myself occupied, so it's much easier for me to solider on although I still do get emotional every once in a while.

I know it's unbearable for Mum but she is coping the best she can, and I'm proud of her efforts to keep positive. But I think you know her best, and how empty she actually feels.

Wherever you are, I hope you've settled in nicely. Do visit us whenever you can spare time from your busy schedule - of course I know you're tied up with many projects and engagements with old friends. You're not one to be twiddling your thumbs and watching clouds drift by. You were never the idler in life, so there's no way you'll be one in the afterlife.

Here's one for the memories, Dad.

Dad's 73rd (and final) Birthday celebration

Your loving daughter always
YC


1 comment:

Cindy Teo said...

Was thinking of him while driving back from down town in another city and couldn't believe he was gone after having posed for such a memorable family pic showing himself still young at 73. This morning I was again meeting with him in my dream and talking about good old time and his active life. Just before we parted, he handed over a packet of warm Indian rojak and some roti prata telling me to pass on to his favourite nephew, Kenneth. Then he smiled and disappeared into the thin air. Wished he was alive again for all of you knowing how empty it is without your dad on his special day. Yes, he could have been 74 but then he had to leave for another mission awaiting his presence in the other planet. R. I.P. my one and only dear brother...you are missed but never forgotten by those who are closed to you. Forever my brother and my friend...till we meet again someday...xoxoxo your loving sis...Chwee Hioh