Monday, August 20, 2018

Twenty Two

Hello.

I know. I've disappeared from this social media platform for far too long. I blame it on my own stupidity: co-creating 5 kids, holding a full-time job and attempting to "have-it-all". 

Well, some things have just got to give. In my case, it's my love for writing. These days, if I do pen any posts, it's because I've carved aside some time to document something important.

I'll admit that in recent years, I've not paid much attention to the man I married because the primary focus has been on the kids. I've always assumed that the hubs will be by my side no matter what, that he'd always be here for the family.

Then on 6 May 2018, I nearly became a solo parent due to a freak carpentry accident. 

I won't go into the details of what happened. That's for another time, another entry. Snippets of the drama are captured on my IG.

Suffice to say, the incident involved rotten wood, electrical blades, a golden chain, a jade Buddha pendant, severed nerves, flesh and skin, and blood. 

Lots and lots and lots of blood. 

This was followed by an ambulance ride, an ER stint, staycation at TTSH and ongoing medical follow-ups and consultations.

Thankfully, Heaven intervened. The Hubs survived. He literally escaped the jaws of death, and I am ever-so-grateful that he's still here with us.

This episode has jolted me out of complacency and the misguided belief that the Hubs will be by my side forever more. I've come to the realisation that no matter how little time we have left for ourselves, we must cherish every waking moment or live to regret it.

###

Every August, we celebrate the day we decided to spend the rest of our lives together. Unfortunately, any romantic plans are usually thrown out of the window because we'll inevitably be distracted by a child-related reason. This year, we had to rush Kids 1, 4 and 5 to the doctor because, well, FEVER etc. We substituted dinner plans with takeaway pizza. Bonus: the girls got to enjoy a pizza supper.

We eventually squeezed out a few stolen hours the next day to feast on BBQ stingray, cockles and an oyster omelette at Chomp Chomp. And for dessert, we shared a slice of chocolate cake from Awfully Chocolate.

#myfrankensteinhub
#oldmum
#oldfarts #partnersforlife

Back in 1996, we made the best and worst decision of our lives. And every single thing we have today - the good, bad and ugly - is the result of that one decision.

Here's to us, Hubs! And many, many more.

22

22 years back
An engagement was pledged
To have and to hold
To cherish and to love
To create and to build
A foundation
To weather all storms
To overcome all odds
To share tears of joy and sorrow

22 years ago
A pact was made
To reach for the stars
To acknowledge limitations
To treasure moments
A union
To last a lifetime
To recognise strengths
To accept weaknesses

22 years since
A partnership was formed
To create memories
To sacrifice pleasures for pain
To solider on in darkness and rain
A promise
To bask in each other’s laughter
To grow older and wiser together
To love till the end of our days


Teo Yuan Ching
8 August 2018

Copyright © 2018 Teo Yuan Ching

No comments: