Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Farewell Aunty Sow Lan

"The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters." - Audrey Hepburn.

We received heartbreaking news on Friday that mum's eldest sister had passed away. She died peacefully in her sleep. She was only 65.

Although we can't pinpoint the exact time/date of her passing, the autopsy suggests she could have left on 19 June - my birthday. I guess it was her way of telling me never to forget her. Ever.

It was shocking because my aunt's a health nut (she did zumba and yoga regularly) and was very conscious about her diet.

She'd recently returned from holidaying at Norway, Sweden and Denmark, and didn't have any health problems. Although my aunt never married, she loved my cousins and me very much, and she extended her love to our kids too.

A cheery, gentle soul with a heart of gold, she was full of life and filled her time with activities she loved. She even volunteered as a story teller at the library and enjoyed reading to the kids.

This photo was snapped on 30 September 2001, my wedding day. I'm extremely ashamed to say this is the only photo I can find taken with my late aunt Sow Lan. I'm sure I have a couple more, but they're usually together with other people.

The lovely Aunt Sow Lan and I
My girls made her a card which we placed in her coffin. Some light reading to entertain her while she makes her journey to her new home:

Farewell card from the Leonglets

I will miss her infectious laughter, her generosity, her positive approach towards life, her radiant smiles…

Aunty Sow Lan, may you be at peace and I hope we'll meet again when my time on this earth expires.

No comments: