Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Daddy's Dynamite

What do you get for a simple, down-to-earth and super practical dude who isn't really into gadgets or expensive branded goods?

Something you can't swipe off the shelves and wrap up in shimmery paper.

Every time he's a daddy again, he gets a 'birthday' poem from his baby girl. He's got three so far, in the respective following years of the girls' births: 2003, 2006, 2009. And now 2015 after the appearance of our fiery-tempered Fourthborn.


Daddy's Dynamite
I know many envy me
Just 'cos I'm the family's baby
Everyone thinks I get my way
And all I do is eat, sleep, poo and play
They don't know how boring it can be
When I'm up and no other Leonglets are around but me
Too bad my three cheh-chehs are already in school
But Daddy do you know what's really cool?
Yours is the first face I see when I wake
That's right, there's no mistake
I know that voice, that hair, that face
Ain't no other who can take your place
Mummy is functional, I can't deny
My calcium fix on her I rely
But Daddy you're my fun-maker playmate
Though you've got so much on your plate
You settle my morning bath before work takes you away
Sometimes you even pop back home midday
Just to check on how I'm doing
Whether I'm eating right, napping and pooping
And when the Moon lights up the night sky
That's when you'll hear me screech and cry
Cos I refuse to sleep - sleep is for the weak!
I may just be a baby but I certainly am not meek
When you step in and do your Daddy discipline thing
I raise the stakes and get into the ring
I fight and scream till I'm hoarse
Seriously. Am I not the little boss?
No-one else can decipher my need
No-one else takes any heed
Only you can understand my pattern
Rocking the sarong to a swaying rhythm
No trial-and-error, no second guessing
You know my demands when I start fussing
Despite me giving you sleepless nights
You patiently put up with my relentless fights
Thank you for loving me come what may
Hugs and kisses from your littlest dynamite Sook Kei

~ Baby Sook Kei ~



Teo Yuan Ching
25 March 2015

Copyright © 2015 Teo Yuan Ching


No comments: